How Much Does It Cost To Have Realtor Sell My House

Q: How much money will it cost to go through a Realtor to sell my home and how do I find the best Realtor?

A: Fees for hiring an agent to represent you in selling your home can vary, but typically 3% of the purchase price goes to the listing agent and 3% would go to an agent who brings a buyer. For a total of 6%. Commissions are not set and can be negotiated, but before you make the mistake of hiring the cheapest Realtor you can find, consider what you are getting for your money.


Some good questions to ask to find the best Realtors would be:

1. Do you have experience selling in my neighborhood? (It is always better to have Realtor who really knows the area, schools, etc.)

2. Which websites do you currently advertise on? (Two thirds of Home Sales are Internet driven. Your Realtor needs a large web presence.)

3. How much do you think my home is worth and why? (Your Realtor should explain the true market value by conducting a thorough CMA analysis using all data afforded him/her and show you the data.)

4. Do you have a list of past clients that I can contact?

5. Google their name and look up their license to see if they’ve ever had any complaints filed against them.

6. Ask neighbors, friends and family who they have had good experiences with in the past.

Before you think about selling yourself consider the scale of your transaction. Selling your home is one of the biggest financial decisions you’ll make. Transactions exceed $100,000. If you had a $100,000 income tax problem, would you attempt to solve it without the help of a CPA? If you had a $100,000 legal question, would you deal with it without the help of an attorney? Considering the relatively small cost of hiring a Realtor and the large potential risk of not hiring one, it’s smart to find a professional to sell your home.


By the way, not all “Real Estate Sales Agents” are Realtors. We must earn the right to wear that Logo. Happy Home Sales!

Best Regards,


__ “Sell Your Home Today With Ray!”

Raymond Ciampaglia, Realtor®

Phone : (201) 939-8900

Email :

Realtor Profile:


Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate | Coccia Realty
424 Valley Brook Ave | Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
Office: (201)939-8900 | Fax: (201)939-8910

__ “Real Estate Just Better”

BHG logo-2